Monday 13 June 2011

What I write

Whenever I tell someone I write (which is daunting enough in itself), they always ask what I write – well actually, they say ‘like journalism?’ and I say ‘no, creative writing’, and THEN they ask what I write - to which I usually answer, ‘ummmmmmm’.
It’s a hard question because I always seem to be writing different things.

I write short stories mostly, anything from 300 – 5000 words.
These stories are flash fiction, fiction, creative non-fiction or memoir.

I used to write a lot of poetry but not so much anymore. Although I do still love haikus and am trying to get in the habit of writing one haiku a day.

I have a few novel ideas, one that I’m going to attempt for NaNoWriMo, but to be honest I don’t feel the need to write novels at this point in my life. I really love the short story and after four years of writing at uni, my mind just thinks in short story form. I would like to build a career on novel writing at some point down the line, but probably for the next five years I will continue with shorter pieces. I love sending them out to journals or competitions. It’s the best feeling when they get accepted, and if they don’t, then it’s motivation to keep writing and submitting.

I guess I always assumed that I was going to write literary fiction but lately I have been reading a lot of YA and I think that that’s what I want to write (when I eventually get to novel writing). I love that so many different people read YA. I love the themes and the words and the characters. I’ve just become YA obsessed. But you never know. I was crime fiction obsessed for years and now I’ve moved on.

And I also have been working on a kids picture book. I’ve had the idea for ages and finally decided to get it down on paper.

What does everyone write? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I hate the 'What do you write' question. I always find myself going, 'Ahhh... can we come back to that, like... never?'

    ReplyDelete